Short URL for this page:

[image ALT: Much of my site will be useless to you if you've got the images turned off!]
Bill Thayer

[image ALT: Cliccare qui per una pagina di aiuto in Italiano.]

[Link to a series of help pages]
[Link to the next level up]
[Link to my homepage]

This site is not affiliated with the US Military Academy.

[decorative delimiter]

The following text is reproduced from (the report of the) Sixteenth Annual Reunion of the Association of the Graduates of the United States Military Academy, June 12th, 1885.

 p48  Patrick Fitzpatrick
No. 2271. Class of 1868.
Died, September 23, 1884, at Saint Martins, Ohio, aged 37.

Patrick Fitzpatrick was born in Ohio, A.D. 1847. He entered the Military Academy in 1863 and was graduated in 1868. His class would have been that of 1867, but the loss of his right arm at artillery drill caused him to be detained another year at the Academy.

He was appointed Second Lieutenant in the Forty-third Infantry June 15, 1868, was unassigned April 8, 1869, assigned to the Thirteenth Infantry July 14, 1869, and promoted First Lieutenant April 1, 1872.

While serving with his regiment at Fort Steele, Wyoming, in 1872 it was discovered that he had contracted enlargement of the heart (a result of the accident alluded to) to such a degree as to unfit him for active service. He was accordingly retired June 29, 1872.

During the short period of his active service, by strict attention and the conscientious discharge of his duties, he won the approval of his superiors and gave every indication of becoming an excellent officer. Fitzpatrick took great pride in his profession, so that he felt it a heavy blow to be retired at the early age of 25. And not only this had he to bear. His physicians forbade him engaging in any pursuit of an exciting nature, on account of his heart trouble. This would have soured the dispositions of many men, but not so with our friend; he was more considerate of others than himself.

If one wished at any time to engage Fitzpatrick's attention he had only to speak of West Point. He loved to dwell on the time spent there and the fellows who were with him.

During the year before his death he knew he could not last long, but kept up bravely. Shortly before the end his anxious mother took him from Cincinnati to the village of Saint Martins, Ohio, hoping the  p49 change would be beneficial, but there was to be no more change for him but the one great one which must come to us all.

He died September 23, 1884. Requiescat in pace.

Indicates a West Point graduate and gives his Class.W. H. McLaughlin

[image ALT: Valid HTML 4.01.]

Page updated: 23 Feb 14