[image ALT: Much of my site will be useless to you if you've got the images turned off!]
mail:
Bill Thayer

[image ALT: Cliccare qui per una pagina di aiuto in Italiano.]
Italiano

[Link to a series of help pages]
Help
[Link to the next level up]
Up
[Link to my homepage]
Home
This site is not affiliated with the US Military Academy.
[decorative delimiter]
USMA
Home

 [decorative delimiter] Class of 1866

Vol. III
p63
2115

(Born Mas.)

Henry M. Adams

(Ap'd Mas.)

1

Born Shutesbury, MA.a

Military History. — Cadet at the Military Academy, July 1, 1862, to June 18, 1866, when he was graduated and promoted in the Army to

Second Lieut., Corps of Engineers, June 18, 1866.

First Lieut., Corps of Engineers, July 10, 1866.

Served: with Engineer Company at West Point, N. Y., Oct. 1, 1866, to Sep. 2, 1867; at the Military Academy, as Assistant Professor of Engineering, Aug. 31, 1867, to Aug. 28, 1869; as Assistant Engineer of Repairs of Fts. Jackson and St. Philip, La., Improvement of the Mouth of the Mississippi and of Galveston Harbor and Bar, Tex., and Surveys for River and Harbor Works in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, Sep. 1, 1869, to June 1, 1874, — on Survey of the Northern Lakes and the Mississippi River, June 6, 1874, to May 10, 1877 (in charge May 10, 1877,

(Captain, Corps of Engineers, Sep. 2, 1874)

to June 25, 1878), and June 25, 1878, to Dec. 31, 1878; as Assistant to the Chief of Engineers at Washington, D. C. (detached to War Department, Sep. 13 to Oct. 20, 1886, and Apr. 25, 1887, to Mar. 2, 1889),

(Major, Corps of Engineers, Jan. 10, 1887)

since Jan. 2, 1879; and as Member of various Engineer Boards on River and Harbor Improvements, Construction of Bridges, etc., 1882‑90.

Vol. IV
p157
[Supplement, Vol. IV: 1890‑1900]

Military History. — Assistant to the Chief of Engineers at Washington, D. C., to June 21, 1894; member of Lighthouse Board, June 3, 1893 to Aug. 24, 1895; first assistant to the Chief of Engineers at Washington, D. C., June 21, 1894 to Oct. 14, 1895; member of commission to report upon the question of damages in connection with raising the Washington Aqueduct dam at Great Falls of the Potomac, Aug. 9 to Sept. 6, 1895; in charge of the improvement of the harbor of Keyport, N. J.; of channels between Staten Island and New Jersey, New York and New Jersey, of the rivers Shrewsbury, Rahway, Elizabeth, South, Raritan, and Passaic, mouth of Squan River, Shoal Harbor, and Compton Creek, and Mattawan Creek, N. J., Oct. 21, 1895 to Sept. 30, 1897; of Canarsie Bay, N. Y., since Oct. 21, 1895; of the defensive works at Forts Griswold and Trumbull, Ct.; of the improvement of the harbors of New Haven, Bridgeport, Five Mile River, Stamford, Norwalk, Wilson's Point, Cos Cob, and Miamus River, Housatonic, Thames, Mystic, Saugatuck, and Connecticut rivers; of Harbor of Refuge at Duck Island, and of construction of breakwaters at New Haven Harbor, Ct., Oct. 22, 1895 to Aug. 5, 1896; of the defensive works on Governor's, Bedloe's, and Staten Islands, N. Y., and of the improvement of the harbors of Greenport, Port Chester, Glen Cove, Flushing Bay, Port Jefferson Inlet, Larchmont, and Huntington, N. Y., of East Chester Creek, Patchogue River, and Brown's Creek, N. Y., since Oct. 22, 1895; of the improvement of the harbors of Rondout, Saugerties, and Wappingers Creek, N. Y., Dec. 13, 1895 to March 31, 1897; of Raritan Bay, N. J., Dec. 13, 1895 to Sept. 30, 1897; of Bay Ridge, Red Hook, Gowanus Bay, Buttermilk, and Gowanus Creek channels; Gowanus Canal and Newtown Creek, N. Y., since Dec. 13, 1895; of the improvement of the harbor at Mattituck and Mamaroneck, and of Bronx River, N. Y., since June 3, 1896; of the defensive works at Forts p158Schuyler, Slocum, and at Willet's Point, N. Y., since July 21, 1896; of examinations of channel connecting Flushing Bay and Newtown Creek, Oyster Bay, Lloyds Harbor, with a view to its connection with Cold Spring Bay, channels to Far Rockaway and Inwood, of Northport, Smithtown, and Roslyn harbors, and of Babylon Creek, N. Y., June 16, 1896 to Jan. 31, 1897; in charge of the surveys of Bay Ridge channel, the triangular area between Bay Ridge and Red Hook channels, and Red Hook and Buttermilk channels; the channel between the Battery, New York City, and Governor's Island, N. Y., and of East Chester and Gowanus creeks, N. Y.; and of Rahway and Elizabeth rivers, N. J., Sept. 5, 1896 to Feb. 24, 1897; in charge of the fortifications on Long Island and at Sandy Hook, N. J., for the defense of the southern entrance to New York Harbor, and of the improvement of Harlem River, New York Harbor, East River, and Hell Gate, and Gedney Channel, New York, since April 31,º 1898. — Engineer 3d Lighthouse District, Oct. 23, 1895 to May 20, 1896. — Member of the Board of Engineers, since July 15, 1896; of the New York Harbor Line Board, since Jan. 6, 1896; president of the Board of Engineer Officers for the consideration of the existing torpedo system, since Jan. 30, 1896; member of the Board of Visitors for U. S. Engineer School at Willets Point, N. Y., Feb. 28, 1896 to July 31, 1897, and for the examination for promotion of certain officers of the Corps of Engineers. — Member of the following boards of Engineer Officers: To consider and report upon a plan and estimate for extending the outer breakwater at Buffalo, N. Y., April 23 to July 12, 1895; to examine into and report upon the subject of establishment of harbor lines on the west bank of the American channel of the Detroit River, Mich., Nov. 1, 1895 to July 31, 1896; in connection with the works of improvement of the Savannah River, Ga., and Cumberland Sound, Fla., Sept. 13 to Nov. 30, 1897; to consider and report upon a project for permitting a portion of the present breach in the Sandy Hook peninsula to remain open; for construction of a drawbridge over the Shrewsbury River, N. J., and for maintenance of navigation in that river, Sept. 21, 1897 to Feb. 28, 1898; to consider and report upon the question of securing a channel of adequate depth and width to accommodate the commercial interests centering at the port of New York, since Sept. 12, 1898; to consider the project of the Michigan Lake Superior Power Company, of Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., for the construction of a water power canal, and to report as to the probable effect of the proposed canal upon the interests of commerce and navigation, since Oct. 18, 1898. — Member of the following boards of Officers: To examine and report upon sites most suitable for range-stations and auxiliary objects in New York Harbor, Feb. 1, 1896 to July 31, 1896; to select a site for the hospital at Fort Wadsworth, N. Y., Jan. 2 to Jan. 9, 1897; to consider and report upon the question of location of the Proving Ground of the Ordnance Department, in connection with the permanent batteries to be erected at Sandy Hook, N. J., Oct. 1 to Oct. 19, 1898.

Vol. V
p126
[Supplement, Vol. V: 1900‑1910]

Military History. —

(Major — Corps of Engineers, Jan. 10, 1887)

— In charge of the improvement of Wallabout Channel, and Larchmont Harbor, March 10, 1899 to June 8, 1899, and of East Channel, New York Harbor, N. Y., March 10, 1899 to Nov. 16, 1899. — In charge of defensive works at Forts Jackson, St. Philip, Livingston, Pike, Macomb and Tower Dupre, Battery Bienvenue, and Tower at Proctorsville, La., Nov. 30, 1899 to Aug. 12, 1902; of the improvement of the Amite River, Bayou Manchac, Tickfaw, Chefuncte Rivers, Gogue Falia, Mermentau River and tributaries, mouth and passes of Calcasieu River, Nov. 30, 1899 to Dec. 1, 1902; Bayou Courtableau, Nov. 30, 1899 to Jan. 17, 1903; Bayou Teche, Bayou Lafourche, Bayou Plaquemine, including removing obstructions from Grand River and Pigeon bayous, Nov. 30, 1899 to Aug. 12, 1904; channel, bay and passes of Bayou Vermilion, Johnson Bayou, La., harbor at Sabine Pass, Tex., Sabine River, La. and Tex., Homochitto River, Miss., and mouths of Sabine and Neches Rivers, Nov. 30, 1899 to Dec. 1, p1271902; Mississippi River, by constructing a sill across Pass à l'Outre, and by constructing and operating two dredges, and closing of crevasse in Pass à l'Outre, Nov. 30, 1899 to Aug. 12, 1904; construction of boat and log booms, and operating same, for removal of water hyacinths in the State of Louisiana, Nov. 30, 1899 to Dec. 1, 1902; to report upon the depth and width of a channel secured and maintained by jetties at the mouth of the Mississippi River, Nov. 30, 1899 to Feb. 1, 1901; improvement of the passes of the Mississippi River, constructing sill across Pass à l'Outre and operating one or more dredges, June 12, 1900 to Aug. 12, 1904; maintenance of the channel, jetties and auxiliary works at South Pass, Mississippi River, Jan. 5, 1901 to Aug. 12, 1904.

(Lieut.‑Colonel — Corps of Engineers, May 2, 1901)

— Division Engineer, Gulf Division, July 24, 1901 to Aug. 12, 1904. — In charge of improvements of Bogue Chitto, La., June 20, 1902 to Dec. 1, 1902; improvement of the mouth of Yazoo River and harbor at Vicksburg, Yazoo River and its tributaries; Tchula Lake, Tallahatchie and Big Sunflower Rivers, Miss., Cuachita and Black Rivers, Bayou Bartholomew, Boeuf River, Tensas River and Bayou Macon, and Bayous D'Arbonne and Corney, La., Cypress Bayou, La. and Tex., Red River, including Sulphur River, La., Ark. and Ind. Ter., and survey of Red River from Fulton, Ark. to the Atchafalaya River, La., and of the engineering work in connection with the Vicksburg National Park, May 26, 1904 to July 8, 1904; of the defensive works at Sabine Pass, Tex., of improvement of Amite River and Bayou Manchac, Tickfaw River, Chefuncte River and Bogue Falia, Mermentau River and tributaries, mouth and passes of Calcasieu River, channel, bay and passes of Bayou Vermilion, Johnson's Bayou, Bogue Chitto, La., harbor of Sabine Pass, Tex., and Sabine River, La., and Tex., Homochitto River, Miss., mouths of Sabine and Neches Rivers, and the construction of boat and log booms and operating same, for the removal of water hyacinths in the State of Louisiana, and of the Fourth District of the Mississippi River Improvement, May 27, 1904 to July 7, 1904; of the defensive works on the lake shores of New York, improvement of Buffalo Entrance to Erie Basin and Black Rock Harbor, Lake Erie Entrance to Black Rock Harbor and Erie Basin, harbors at Erie, Pa., Dunkirk, Buffalo, Tonawanda Harbor and Niagara River, Olcott, Charlotte, Great Sodus Bay, Little Sodus Bay, Oswego, Cape Vincent, and Ogdensburg, and St. Lawrence River, Aug. 17, 1904 to Jan. 18, 1908; of improvement of harbors at Wilson and Oak Orchard, N. Y., Aug. 17, 1904 to March 3, 1905; of Black Rock Harbor and Channel, March 14, 1905 to Jan. 18, 1908; member of Mississippi River Commission, May 13, 1901 to Sept. 27, 1904; member of Board of Engineers on Galveston Harbor, Sept. 15, 1900 to Nov. 23, 1900, and July 5, 1902 to Dec. 19, 1902.

(Colonel, Corps of Engineers, June 26, 1905)

— Engineer 10th Lighthouse District, Aug. 25, 1904 to Jan. 27, 1908; Member of Board of Engineers, Niagara River, Dec. 4, 1906 to Dec. 18, 1906; Ohio River, Jan. 8, 1907 to Oct. 18, 1907; Duluth Harbor, March 9, 1907 to June 20, 1907.

(Brigadier-General, U. S. A., Retired May 8, 1908)

— Residence, Charleston, S. C.

Died Dec. 1, 1909, at Washington, D. C.: Aged 65.

Vol. VI
p116
[Supplement, Vol. VI: 1910‑1920]

Portrait and obituary in Annual Report, Association of Graduates, for 1911.


Thayer's Note:

a Col. Adams' full name and birthplace are from his AOG obituary.


[image ALT: Valid HTML 4.01.]

Page updated: 17 Jun 14