[image ALT: Much of my site will be useless to you if you've got the images turned off!]
mail:
Bill Thayer

[image ALT: Cliccare qui per una pagina di aiuto in Italiano.]
Italiano

[Link to a series of help pages]
Help
[Link to the next level up]
Up
[Link to my homepage]
Home
This site is not affiliated with the US Military Academy.
[decorative delimiter]
USMA
Home

 [decorative delimiter] Class of 1879

Vol. III
p308
2760

(Born Mas.)

Frederic V. Abbot1

(Ap'd at Large)

1

Born Cambridge, MA.a

Military History. — Cadet at the Military Academy, July 1, 1875, to June 12, 1879, when he was graduated and promoted in the Army to

Second Lieut., Corps of Engineers, June 13, 1879.

Served: on duty at the Military Academy, July 3 to Aug. 28, 1879; with the Engineer Battalion at Willet's Point, N. Y., Nov. 28, 1879, to

(First Lieut., Corps of Engineers, June 17, 1881)

June 8, 1882 (commanding Company, May 1 to Aug. 30, 1881); as Assistant to Major Indicates a West Point graduate and gives his Class.Ernst, June 10, 1882, to Aug. 5, 1884, and engaged on survey of boundary line between Maryland and Virginia, Oct. 3, 1883, to Mar. 6, 1884, — and on duty in connection with examination of work under contract at Hot Springs, Ark., Apr. 21‑24, 1884; as Assistant to Colonel Indicates a West Point graduate and gives his Class.Gillmore, Aug. 8, 1884, to Apr. 6, 1888 (on Special duty, Sep. 8‑24, 1886, inspecting buildings damaged by earthquake at Charleston, S. C.); as Assistant to Colonel Indicates a West Point graduate and gives his Class.Abbot, Apr. 6‑20, 1888; and in charge of various works of River and Harbor Improvements in South Carolina, and removal of wrecks, since Apr. 20, — of defensive work at Forts Moultrie, Sumter, and Johnson, and Castle Pinckney, since May 29, — and of preliminary examinations and surveys at different times, since Aug. 28, 1888.

Captain, Corps of Engineers, July 22, 1888.

Vol. IV
p306
[Supplement, Vol. IV: 1890‑1900]

Military History. — Served: In charge of various works of river and harbor improvements in North and South Carolina, and removal of wrecks, of defensive works at Forts Moultrie, Sumter, and Johnson, and Castle Pinckney; designed and built mortar battery for sixteen breech-loading mortars, and fired the latter to test emplacements, designed and built three emplacements for ten‑inch rifles on disappearing carriages, both mortar and ten‑inch batteries being on Sullivan's Island, Charleston Harbor. — In charge of torpedo material for defense of Charleston, S. C., from 1890 till Sept. 15, 1897. — Lighthouse Engineer, 6th Lighthouse District, extending from mouth of Cape Fear River, N. C., to Jupiter Inlet, Fla., from Dec. 31, 1895 to Oct. 9, 1897. — In charge of various works of river improvement in Wisconsin and Minnesota, Sept. 18, 1897 to –––––; in temporary charge of Sioux City District of Missouri River improvements, Aug. 2 to Oct. 24, 1898.

(Major, Corps of Engineers, July 5, 1898)

— From 1890 to date served on many Boards on harbor lines, bridges, and river and harbor improvements, and made many preliminary examinations and surveys. — Member of mixed civil and military Board on Brunswick Harbor, Ga., Nov. 13, 1894 to June 3, 1896.

Vol. V
p283
[Supplement, Vol. V: 1900‑1910]

Military History. — Served: Assistant to the Chief of Engineers since Aug. 12, 1900; in charge of the work of manufacturing and issuing Taylor-Raymond 8, 10 and 12‑inch chain ammunition hoists for installation in seacoast defenses, Aug., 1903 to Feb., 1907; in charge of the publication of harbor charts for artillery use in seacoast defenses; in charge of designing of powder hoists for gun batteries, and of improved powder and projectile service in mortar batteries; in charge of work of manufacturing and issuing searchlight outfits, to July 13, 1907.

(Lieut.‑Colonel, Corps of Engineers, Sept. 9, 1906)

— on duty, connected with construction of defensive works in the Philippines, Sept. 27, 1907 to Jan. 8, 1908; member of Boards of Engineer Officers to consider and report upon plans and estimates for the establishment of a War College at Washington Barracks, and the reconstruction of Washington Barracks to serve as an Engineer Post and Engineer School of Application, Dec. 19, 1901 to March 4, 1903, and to consider and report upon a project for defenses of the Harbor of San Luis d'Apra, Island of Guam, Dec. 18‑27, 1901; member of Board of Officers to select sites for batteries and fire-control  p284 stations, March 26 to April 22, 1907; Assistant to the Chief of Engineers, Jan. 27, 1908 to –––––; member of an informal board to coördinate the work of the Engineers, Ordnance, and Signal Corps work, in connection with the Artillery Corps plans for fire-control, 1900, to –––––.

(Colonel, Corps of Engineers, June 24, 1909)

— At Boston, Mass., May 23, 1910, in charge of works for defense of Boston Harbor, Mass., and on Lake Champlain, N. Y., and of the improvement of rivers and harbors in Massachusetts, Vermont and New York; Engineer, 1st and 2d Light-house Districts.

Vol. VI
p262
[Supplement, Vol. VI: 1910‑1920]

(Frederic Vaughan Abbot, Born March 4, 1858.)

Military History. —

Lieut.‑Colonel, Corps of Engineers, Sept. 9, 1906.

Assistant to Chief of Engineers, Jan. 27, 1908, to

(Colonel, Corps of Engineers, June 24, 1909)

May 22, 1910; at Boston, Mass., in charge of works for defense of Boston Harbor and on Lake Champlain, N. Y., and of the improvement of rivers and harbors in Mass., Vt., and N. H.; May 23, 1910, to June 13, 1913; member of the Boston Harbor Line Board, July 27, 1910, to Oct. 15, 1917; in temporary charge of river, harbor and fortification work in R. I. and southeastern Mass., March 31, 1911, to Aug. 5, 1912; member of Board on Fire Control and Searchlight Protection for Narragansett Bay, June 8, 1911, to Aug. 5, 1912; at New York in charge of river and harbor improvements in N. Y. and N. J., member of the New York Harbor Line Board, member of the Board of Engineers, member of the Board of Engineers for Rivers and Harbors, Division Engineer, Northeast Division, June 14, 1913, to Oct. 13, 1917; in charge of works for the defense of New York City, July 6, 1915, to Oct. 13, 1917; member of Board to revise projects for the land defense of New York City, Feb. 10, 1916, to

(Brigadier-General, Engineers, National Army, Aug. 5, 1917)

Oct. 13, 1917; at Washington, D. C., Principal Assistant to Chief of Engineers to Oct. 31, 1919; chiefly charged with enlisting and organizing divisional Engineer regiments, and with enlisting, organizing, training and forwarding technical Engineer troops and Engineer replacement troops; commanding post of Washington Barracks, with sub‑posts at Camp Leach and Camp A. A. Humphreys (27,000 men); Commandant of Engineer School for Officers, Oct. 15, 1917, to Oct. 15, 1918 (acting Chief of Engineers during absence of Chief of Engineers in France, Feb. 26 to April 16, 1918); member of Board to design permanent buildings for new Engineer School at Camp Humphreys, Va., Nov. 21, 1918, to

(Returned to Grade of Colonel, May 31, 1919)

Feb. 2, 1920 (Acting Chief of Engineers, Oct. 31, 1919, to Feb. 2, 1920).

(Colonel, U. S. A., Retired, May 10, 1290,
For Disability Contracted in Line of Duty.

Vol. VII
p155
[Supplement, Vol. VII: 1920‑1930]

Military History: —

Colonel, U. S. A., Retired, May 10, 1920
For Disability Contracted in Line of Duty.

Died, Sept. 26, 1928, at Nonquitt, Mass.: Aged 70.

Portrait and obituary in Annual Report, Association of Graduates, for 1929.

Brigadier-General, U. S. A. (Posthumously), Sept. 26, 1928,
Act of June 21, 1930.


The Author's Note:

1 Son of Bvt. Brig.‑General Henry L. Abbot, Class of 1854.


Thayer's Note:

a Col. Abbot's birthplace is from his AOG obituary.


[image ALT: Valid HTML 4.01.]

Page updated: 3 Apr 16