The State of Iowa is divided into five associations. The latest reports are from proceedings of the annual Association, in June, 1854, as follows:—
|No. of Members|
|Council Bluffs Association||40|
|Des Moines River Association||862|
|Estimated addition in 9 months||250|
|No. of Ministers in the State||57|
|No. of Churches in the State||72|
|Meeting Houses built||39|
|Meeting Houses building||6|
Congregational churches are thus located: Council Bluffs Association. — Civil Bend, Council Bluffs, Tabor (Florence, N. T.). Davenport Association. — Anamosa, Copper Creek, Davenport, Deep Creek, De Witt, Le Claire, Lyons, Marion, Muscatine, Sabula, Sterling, Sugar Creek, Summit, Tipton, Toledo. Denmark Association. — Brighton, Burlington, Clay, Columbus, Crawfordsville, Danville, Denmark, Flint, Hillsboro', Long Creek, Mount Pleasant, North Marion, Old Man's Creek, Salem, Trenton, Wapello, Warren, Wayne. Des Moines River Association. Bentonsport, p254Chariton, Eddyville, Elk Creek, Fairfield, Farmington, Keosauqua, Knoxsville,º Marysville, Oskaloosa, Ottumwa, Pleasantville, Red Rock. Dubuque Association. — Bellevue, Bowen's Prairie, Cascade, Centre, Colesburg, Cottonville, Decorah, Dubuque, Durango, Farmersburgh, French Settlement, Garnaville, Lansing, Manona, Maquoketa, Quasqueton, Sherold's Mound, Teroli, West Union, Yankee Settlement.
|Des Moines||21||11||247||1159||Aug. 25, 1854|
|Davenport||24||17||73||1078||Sept. 15, 1854|
|Oskaloosa||16||5||32||502||Aug. 30, 1854|
|Central Iowa||14||6||98||384||Sept. 29, 1854|
|Fox River||17||7||69||628||Sept. 8, 1854|
|Not included in above||3||11||49||A low estimate|
|Anniver'y||Where Held||Moderator||Clerk||In. Preacher|
|1st — 1843||Iowa City||Rev. B. Carpenter||Rev. W. B. Morey||Rev. H. Johnson|
|2d — 1843||Davenport||Rev. H. Johnson||J. T. Fales||Rev. A. Sherwood|
|3d — 1844||Mt. Pleasant||Rev. E. Fisher||D. G. Blood||Rev. C. E. Brown|
|4th — 1845||Bloomington||Rev. H. Burnett||Rev. D. E. Brown||Rev. W. B. Morey|
|5th — 1846||Iowa City||Rev. B. F. Brabrook||J. T. Fales||Rev. J. N. Seely|
|6th — 1847||Farmington||J. T. Fales, Esq.||Rev. W. B. Morey||Rev. H. Burnett|
|7th — 1848||Davenport||Rev. D. P. Smith||Rev. T. H. Archibald||Rev. D. P. Smith|
|8th — 1849||Iowa City||Rev. B. F. Brabrook||Rev. T. H. Archibald||Rev. C. E. Brown|
|9th — 1850||Mt. Pleasant||Rev. D. P. Smith||Rev. S. B. Johnson||Rev. T. H. Archibald|
|10th — 1851, 1 ses.||Muscatine||J. T. Fales, Esq.||Rev. S. B. Johnson||Rev. G. J. Johnson|
|10th — 1851, 2 ses.||Burlington||J. T. Fales, Esq.||Rev. S. B. Johnson||Rev. W. A. Wells|
|11th — 1852||Marion||Rev. E. Gunn||Rev. J. C. Curtis||Rev. J. A. Nash|
|12th — 1853||Keokuk||Rev. E. M. Miles||Rev. Wm. Turton||Rev. G. J. Johnson|
|13th — 1854||Davenport||Rev. H. Burnett||Rev. H. R. Wilbur||Rev. W. Elliott|
The Synod of Iowa is divided into three Presbyteries. According to the statistical reports for 1854, this Synod consists of the following:—
|No. Members||No. Churches|
|1. Presbytery of Iowa||247||24|
|2. Presbytery of Cedar||799||47|
|3. Presbytery of Des Moines||787||100|
In Synod of Iowa
First Presbytery. — Keokuk, West Point, Middletown, Morning Sun, Mount Pleasant, Charleston, Burlington, Lowell, Spring Creek, Fort Madison, and Kossuth. Second Presbytery. — Muscatine, West Liberty, Farmer's Creek, Tipton, Scotch Grove, Cascade, Grandview, Marion, Lime Grove, Dubuque, Davenport, Iowa City, Le Claire, Solon, Blue Grass, Maquoketa, Postville, Franckville, Coleburg, Lybrand, Pleasant Grove, Vinton, Independence, Hopkinton, Lisbon, Princeton. Third Presbytery. — Fairfield, Libertyville, Sigourney, Birmingham, Winchester, Oskaloosa, Washington, Brighton, Albia, Crawfordsville, Troy, Keosauqua, Bentonsport, Kirkville, Indianolo, Ottumwa, Knoxville, and Ft. Des Moines.
The territorial limits of the diocese embrace the entire State. The Right Rev. H. W. Lee, D. D., is bishop of the same. It was organized into a diocese, August 18th, 1853, under the provisionary charge of the Rt. Rev. J. Kemper, D. D. The present bishop was elected June 1st, 1854.
p256 There are organized parishes in the following places:— Dubuque, Bellevue, Davenport, Muscatine, Burlington, Ft. Madison, Keokuk, Ft. Des Moines, Washington, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids. Churches are built in the following places:— Dubuque, Davenport, Muscatine, Burlington, and Keokuk, and one is in progress at Cedar Rapids.
The number of clergy in the diocese is 11; number of communicants, about 300. Immigration is adding to families and communicants every month. Number of Sunday Schools not ascertained as yet. The second annual convention meets at Burlington, on the 29th of May next.
In the following table we give a full history of the condition of the Methodist Churches in Iowa, as rendered at the Eleventh Annual Conference, held September 27th, 1854:—
|Ft. Des Moines||7||9||41||2882|
|Districts||Schools||Scholars||Volumes in library||Converted past year|
|Ft. Des Moines||41||1656||4151||34|
The diocese of Dubuque, comprises the State of Iowa, and is administered by the Rt. Rev. Mathias Loras, D. D. The principal buildings at Dubuque embrace the "Cathedral of St. Raphael," now nearly completed, the "Holy Trinity," (German) and a new and spacious church in the upper part of the city, "under the patronage of St. Patrick." Also the "Mount St. Bernard Theological Seminary," situated four miles from Dubuque, with ten seminaries and three professors; the "Cistercian Monastery of Our Blessed Lady of La Trappe," New Melleray, near Dubuque;a "Brothers of Christian Instruction," at New Paradise Grove, four miles from Dubuque, and "St. Joseph's Female Academy," situated eight miles from Dubuque. Beside the above, the Catholics have the "Convent and Academy of the Visitation," at Keokuk, and churches and stations at the following named places:—
Dubuque County, at Dubuque, Cascade, Green Oak, New Vienna, St. Joseph's, Shellsmound, St. Nicholas, and Téte-de‑Mort;
Jackson County, at Garry Owen, St. Lawrence, Cascade, Belleview, and Sabula;
Jones County, at Castle Grove, and St. Thomas;
Delaware County, at Buffalo Grove;
Clayton County, at Carnoville, and Guttenberg;
Clinton County, at Lyons, and Camanche;
Muscatine County, at Muscatine;
Johnson County, at Iowa City, English River, and Old Man's Creek;
Des Moines County, at Burlington, Dodgeville, and Augusta;
Lee County, at West Point, Fort Madison, Keokuk, and Farmington;
Recapitulation. — Churches, 35; stations, 17; clergymen, 29; religious communities, 5; Catholic academies 4; Catholic population, 20,000.
1 The Catholic is the largest church in Davenport, covering an area •44 by 84 feet. The cost of the edifice was about $10,000. Number of members, 3000, (many of them residing in the country). Connected with the church is a youths' school, conducted by Rev. J. A. M. Pelamourgues, and three assistant teachers. The entire square upon which these buildings are located, was donated to the church, by Antoine Le Claire.
Images with borders lead to more information.
Iowa As It Is in 1856
A page or image on this site is in the public domain ONLY
Page updated: 29 Apr 13