Return to Battle of Maldon

Ely Cathedral

Set in the north wall of Bishop West's Chapel in Ely Cathedral, Byrhtnoth's grave marker holds the cremated remains of the ealdorman, whose grave was opened in 1769. The thigh bone was measured and found to belong to a man well over six feet tall. The absence of a head also was noted, the collar bone having been cut through.