Return to Precinct Wall
The finest examples of the Corinthian capital are those that still support the architrave of the Temple of Mars Ultor which, for Jones, is the first major building to "display all the vital ingredients of Roman Corinthian proper." The single pilaster, or engaged column, on the right was added because of the irregularity of the back wall. They all are made more beautiful by the setting sun.
The drawing on the left is by Louis Noguet (1869), the one above by Andrea Palladio (1738). Even more striking than the capitals that surround the temple are those that decorated the interior of the cella, with Pegasuses replacing the volutes.
References: Principles of Roman Architecture (2000) by Mark Wilson Jones. The illustrations come from Roma Antiqua: Forum, Colisée, Palatin (1985) by Villa Medici and The Four Books of Architecture (1738/1965) by Andrea Palladio (Dover Reprint).
Return to Top of Page