Return to Roman Forum
The Arch of Tiberius was erected in AD 16 to commemorate the recovery of two of the three Roman standards lost by Varus at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest seven years earlier. Although Germanicus celebrated his triumph in AD 17, the last time that anyone other than the emperor would be allowed to do so, it was Tiberius, the hero's uncle, who was memorialized by the arch. Tacitus, the only one to mention it, speaks of "an arch near the temple of Saturn commemorating the recovery, 'under the leadership of Germanicus the auspices of Tiberius,' of the eagles lost with Varus" (Annals, II.41). Approached by several steps, it may have stood between the Basilica Julia and the Temple of Saturn next to the Vicus Jugarius and the Rostra.
In this detail of the north face of the Arch of Constantine, the single fornix arch is depicted in the panel frieze below the eastern roundel.
This état restauré by Alfred-Nicolas Normand (1852) depicts how the Arch of Tiberius might have been placed in the Roman Forum.
Now, there is only an identifying plaque.