Return to Roman Forum
Built in 78 BC and restored by Claudius in 46 AD, the Tabularium or record office was the repository for official State archives, its arcade of eleven large arches providing a dramatic backdrop for the western end of the Forum.
From the long upper gallery, the arched windows look out over the Forum. Below is the Tabularium as drawn by Constant Moyaux in the mid-nineteenth century (two of the arches had not yet been uncovered). The tower was added c.1300 and the upper story demolished by Michelangelo, who built the Palazzo del Senatore in its place.