Short URL for this page:

[image ALT: Much of my site will be useless to you if you've got the images turned off!]
Bill Thayer

[image ALT: Cliccare qui per una pagina di aiuto in Italiano.]

[Link to a series of help pages]
[Link to the next level up]
[Link to my homepage]
This site is not affiliated with the US Military Academy.
[decorative delimiter]

The following text is reproduced from (the report of the) Fourteenth Annual Reunion of the Association of the Graduates of the United States Military Academy, June 12, 1883.

 p92  Harry T. Hammond
No. 2685. Class of 1877.
Died, Feb. 8, 1883, at Monterey, Mexico,​a aged 27.

Major Harry T. Hammond, son of Police Commissioner Indicates a West Point graduate and gives his Class.R. P. Hammond, class of 1841, died at Monterey, Feb. 8, 1883, after a lingering illness. Harry Hammond was one of the brightest young men of whom California could boast. He was a brave, honest, manly fellow, full of fire, and ambitious ever to secure the respect and love of his fellow-citizens. He was a young man of brilliant attainments and shone in the company of the greatest men of the State. As a lawyer he was far more able and studious than he was given credit for. He took an active part in local politics, not for any sordid hope of gain, but to purify and ennoble the Government of his native state. He was born in San Francisco, on Bush street, where to‑day stands the Mercantile Library. After a short course in  p93 the University of California he entered the United States Military Academy at West Point, in June, 1873, from whence he graduated June 15, 1877. He was assigned to the 9th Cavalry. He served with General Howard in the Nez Perces Indian war in Idaho and Montana and proved that he was no holiday soldier, though his physique was none of the strongest. On account of ill health he left the Army, March 1, 1878, and choosing the profession of law entered the Columbia Law School in New York. He soon graduated and was admitted to practice at the New York Bar. For some time he studied law with Governor Dorsheimer of New York and then returned to San Francisco where he has practiced ever since. He was appointed Adjutant-General on General Barnes' Staff, was Lieutenant-Colonel of the Second Infantry, and last year was made Major of the Third Battalion, succeeding Colonel Wason. On August 15, 1881, he was nominated for the office of City and County Attorney by the joint Democratic Convention in Mercantile Library Hall. He was nominated by W. T. Bishop, and so great was the impression made in his favor when he made a brief speech that before roll call was half over, his only opponent, Judge Lamar, withdrew, and he was nominated by acclamation. One of his detractors claimed that Hammond sought that nomination, but those who know the circumstances know that he was literally forced into the fight by a large number of Democrats high in the party counsels. The year 1881 was disastrous to the Democracy here, and Hammond was among the defeated, but he polled 16,198 votes against Cowdery's 16,381, and was the highest man on his ticket except the three Democrats who were elected. His death is a loss to the whole State.

From San Francisco Examiner, Feb. 10, 1883.

Thayer's Note:

a In Cullum's Register, his place of death is given as San Gabriel, California.

[image ALT: Valid HTML 4.01.]

Page updated: 5 Jan 15