[image ALT: Much of my site will be useless to you if you've got the images turned off!]
Bill Thayer

[image ALT: Cliccare qui per una pagina di aiuto in Italiano.]

[Link to a series of help pages]
[Link to the next level up]
[Link to my homepage]
This site is not affiliated with the US Military Academy.
[decorative delimiter]

The text that follows is reproduced from (the report of the) Forty-Third Annual Reunion of the Association of the Graduates of the United States Military Academy, June 11th, 1912.

 p87  Jerauld A. Olmsted
No. 2354. Class of 1870.
Died, December 19, 1911, at Des Moines, Iowa, aged 66.

The following is from the Army and Navy Journal:

Major Jerauld A. Olmsted, U. S. A., retired, passed away at his home, 2809 Rutland Avenue, following a long illness. He is survived by his wife, Abbie Bailey Olmsted, and one son, E. S. Olmsted. He was a brother of J. G. Olmsted, of Des Moines. Major Olmsted was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., July 28, 1846, and was graduated from the U. S. M. A. and promoted in the Army, Second Lieutenant, 4th Cavalry, June 15, 1870. He was assigned to station in Texas to assist in quelling the Indian uprisings in this section of the country, serving there three years. During this strenuous Indian campaign, he had both feet badly frozen, but did not lose them. He was transferred to the 13th Infantry in June, 1872, and to the 9th Cavalry, August 1, 1881. He was stationed in Wyoming with the 13th Infantry and was next ordered to New Orleans for reconstruction duty. He remained in New Orleans for six years, serving as Regimental Quartermaster and Depot Quartermaster. In June, 1880, his regiment was ordered to New Mexico, where Major Olmsted was made Inspecting Officer on the staff of the general in command. A few months later he was stationed at Fort Wingate, N. M., as an officer of the 9th Cavalry. He took an active part in quelling the Indian uprising near this place. A few months later he was assigned to the post at Fort Riley, Kas., and remained there for three years. While at this post he held the position of Regimental  p88 Quartermaster. He was then sent to Fort McKinney, Wyo., where he remained one year. During this time he received his commission as a captain. He then was sent to Fort Duchesne, in Utah, and remained at that post for two years, going from there to Fort Washakie, Wyo. He stayed at this post for three years and was then sent to Fort Robinson, Neb. In 1892 he was transferred to New York City and assigned to recruiting duty, staying in this position for two years. He then returned to Fort Robinson and later was sent to the Pine Ridge Agency, in South Dakota, where he was made the Inspector of Indian supplies. He remained there for two years, and was then sent to Iowa for National Guard duty. He was retired with the rank of Major, October 16, 1898, for disability in the line of duty. During the latter year he was Mustering Officer, with headquarters in Des Moines, and was on duty during the Spanish-American War. He was appointed Inspector-General for Iowa in 1899. In 1900 he was in charge of the military department at the State Teachers' College at Cedar Falls, staying there for three years. He put in more than forty years of his life at military posts, and served in twenty‑two different states.

Secretary Association.

[image ALT: Valid HTML 4.01.]

Page updated: 28 Feb 16