Short URL for this page:

[image ALT: Much of my site will be useless to you if you've got the images turned off!]
Bill Thayer

[image ALT: Cliccare qui per una pagina di aiuto in Italiano.]

[Link to a series of help pages]
[Link to the next level up]
[Link to my homepage]

[image ALT: link to previous section]
Section B

This webpage reproduces a section of
The History of Jenkins, Kentucky

published by The Jenkins Area Jaycees
Jenkins, Kentucky 1973

The text is in the public domain.

This page has been carefully proofread
and I believe it to be free of errors.
If you find a mistake though,
please let me know!


[image ALT: link to next section]
Section C
This site is not affiliated with the US Military Academy.

C‑1 They Built a Town

Jenkins is located at the foot of Pine Mountain​a in Letcher County, Kentucky. It is on the Sandy Valley and Elkhorn Railroad.​b

Consolidation Coal Company​c came into the mountains of Eastern Kentucky and built a city.

In the fall of 1911, the Consolidation Coal Company purchased one hundred thousand acres of coal lands in Pike, Letcher and Floyd Counties, a part of the holdings of the Northern Coal and Coke Company, that had been gathered together during the previous ten years through the expenditure of much money and unbounded energy. Plans were made for the extension of the Lexington and Eastern Railroad from Jackson to a point on the north fork of the Kentucky River selected as the site of a town, named McRoberts, in honor of Samuel McRoberts, vice-president of the City National Bank of New York and director of the Consolidation Coal Company. Plans were also made and a site selected for a town named Jenkins, in honor of George C. Jenkins, one of the leading citizens of Baltimore and a director of the Consolidation Coal Company.

[image ALT: A man in a suit, wearing a bowler hat, sitting on a horse; in the background, a rickety and uneven wooden picket fence. It is George C. Jenkins, the man after whom Jenkins, Kentucky is named.]

George Jenkins, from a photo taken in 1911 or 1912 on a visit to the area as his eponymous town was being built.

(This photo is not in the print edition of this book.
It is part of a collection on loan by the owner to the Polly & Craft Funeral Home in Jenkins and on display there.)

To build the hundreds of homes and other structures needed, it was necessary to have a great deal of lumber, and the only way to get it was to cut down and saw up the trees that abounded on the company's land. Large quantities of brick were also needed. Therefore, nine saw mills, two or three of them of the big band-saw type, were hauled in, erected, and set going. The machinery for two brickyards was also brought in and installed, as were steam and electric outfits for these and the temporary power houses. A temporary narrow-gauge railroad was built to carry on the work. This road from a connection at Glamorgan, Virginia was the Wise Terminal, a standard-gauge road and originally within eight miles of Jenkins. The Consolidation Coal Company leased it, extended it three miles and built a wagon road from its terminal five miles across the mountain to Jenkins. Over this mountain, then, were hauled on wagons the engines and boilers, and two narrow-gauge locomotives, saw mills and other mill equipment, the brick machinery, electric generators, logging outfits, and other things needed to carry on the work of town building and mine opening. The heaviest things were twelve boilers, weighing 16,000 pounds each, one 40,000 and one 26,000 pound locomotives. It was necessary to hitch as many as twenty head of oxen to a wagon to haul one boiler. In addition, food supplies had to be brought in. These tasks were accomplished in an incredibly short time, and when the railroad through Shelby Gap was completed to Jenkins, the Consolidation Coal Company was ready for business and had an output of several thousand tons of coal per day for shipment.

The men who were then in charge of the operation in the Elkhorn Field were:

E. Dreenen, Manager; J. Jenkins, General Superintendent; G. M. Gillette, Assistant General Superintendent, L. Abbott, Chief C‑2Engineer; E. J. Brandt, Superintendent of Construction; P. H. Giaherty, Superintendent Power Mechanical Department; Max Forrester; John Hunsaker, Manager of Stores; M. A. Dunlap, Land Agent; W. W. Kenzer, Auditor.

City Government was established in Jenkins only when Consol started selling the businesses and land to the people. Up until this time, Consol had hired its own marshals to enforce the law. Jenkins was, however, established as a sixth-class town and was incorporated in 1912.

In 1956, Consolidation Coal Company sold its interest in this area to Bethlehem Steel and the company is now known as Beth-Elkhorn Corporation.

Town Officials — City of Jenkins

Chairmen and Mayors:

Madison A. Dunlap


S. E. Looney


G. C. Collins


R. L. Triee


G. C. Collins


S. E. Looney


J. Brian Boggs


Joe Sexton


L. H. Winchell


(Begin here with Mayor)

L. H. Winchell


Harold Davis


Ezra Johnson


W. L. Terrill


Don Hill


Jim Lucas


L. H. Banks


R. Percy Elkins


William Toth


W. L. Terrill



O. U. Terrill


Bernard Kegan


C. T. Crutcher


E. E. Hollyfield


J. A. Sarsfield


John M. Mullins


J. S. Beverly


C. S. Davis


M. V. Bates


James L. Anderson


Charles Taylor


Cecil Holtzclaw


Ray Russell


T. V. Bumgardner


Hobart Castle


Anna Holbrook


Police Judges:

J. D. W. Collins


H. L. Moore


A. C. Daniels


J. J. Johnson


J. H. Abbott


Jess Bates


(Bernard Kegan was a special police judge during the 1920's)

Police Chiefs or Marshals:

H. B. Morgan


J. E. Huth


J. H. Davidson


Frank Jones


A. C. Daniels


Albert Daniels


N. T. Preston


H. C. Moore


A. C. Daniels


James O'Connor


C‑3 C. E. Horton


S. H. Privett


W. H. Caudill


D. S. Taylor


T. B. Hall


W. H. Sergent


T. B. Hall


W. H. Sergent


W. P. Blevins


Charlie Vest


R. L. Lester


Hibbert Elkins


T. B. Hall


Ed Evans


Willie Ellis


Jim Revis


Hillis Wright


T. B. Hall


Sam Wyatt


City Clerks:

W. M. Crawford


B. Kegan


George Robinette


W. L. Meredith


O. O. Parks


J. B. Boggs


E. H. Rutherford


Eugene McCloud


J. A. Sarsfield


E. N. Rutherford


O. M. Bollins


James Anderson


G. K. Cantrell


Ray Webb


Cecil Holtzclaw


Ruth Holtzclaw


Ollie Carter


Betty Breer


Garnette Ruth Webb


Katherine Day


Ollie Carter


Joelene Mullins


The Social and Economic Study of Jenkins

by Wendell D. Boggs

Jenkins is unique in its development as compared to other small towns because it didn't come into existence by a small settlement over a period of years. Jenkins was planned and built for men who came to mine its coal. With the opening of the mines, the nearest railroad was thirty miles distant. Consol, therefore, undertook to build its own line, The Sandy Valley and Elkhorn Railroad. The construction of thirty miles of railroad began almost simultaneously with the opening, development and planning construction of 14 mines. The L and N Railroad with its nearest rails at Jackson, Kentucky, did not hesitate, after the development was assured, to build a line up the Kentucky River Valley in order to share in the transportation of what was to become known as the best coal in Kentucky.

Consol began its work on the construction of Jenkins. No one knows if it was planned this way, but Jenkins is made up of four small towns, incorporated under one small township — Dunham, Burdine, Jenkins, and up until a few years ago, McRoberts. When you speak of Jenkins, you speak of them all. Each section was built separately. Times were good in the early twenties and thirties. At one time, Jenkins reached its peak in population with almost 10,000 people living within its city limits.

The biggest single social change in Jenkins came in 1947 when the company announced that the whole town of Jenkins was on the C‑4market. The following information may explain the situation. When one got a job with Consol, the company gave him a house rent-free. They paid no electric bill, water bill, sewage bill, and got fuel for a very small fee. Of course, the wages were small; but there was no sizeable outlay either. Part of the wages were paid in script. Script was a type of money printed by the company and could only be spent in company-owned businesses.

It has been said that the company brought the citizens of Jenkins into the world since they owned the only hospital, and it also escorted them out of this town since it owned the only funeral home.

Dunham, Kentucky

By LaVonda Evanoff

Dunham is a small community that isn't shown on most maps. The early development of the community was slow and simple. Only a few farm houses were scattered throughout the entire area. These farmers lived from the crops and farm animals they raised. There were no stores, churches or any type of employment in the area at that time. In 1910 through 1912, things began to change with the discovery of coal and the opening of the mines. After the opening of the mines, there was the problem of getting people to work in them since there was only a handful already in the area. They had to be transported in from other areas.

In order to meet these needs, the company started housing projects. They used lumber and other materials that were available in this area. They also started transportation systems which paid the expense of any person who would move to this area. The houses varied in some respects. Most of them were two‑story houses that had 8 or 10 rooms. Usually two families occupied these houses. Some of these houses were one‑story and had 3 to 6 rooms. These houses were usually occupied by the people that were bosses at the mines. The houses were equipped with toilets and some had wash houses. The houses were later equipped with water and electricity. The water was furnished by hydrants that were located in front of the house. One hydrant usually furnished water for three or four houses.

The miners made about 35¢ an hour, and at this time it was enough money for them to live well because the company provided all the necessities of life at a low cost. The company also built stores and hotels. One hotel was located at Dunham. It proved to be extremely helpful for people when they first came because they could not get a house. Many single men and couples without families lived in it permanently. Dunham had two stores. One was located at the mouth and it was the main store. There was a smaller one that was located in the center of the community. With the coming of people to Dunham, there was a need for a police force which was employed by the company. A jail was also built which enabled the policemen to enforce the laws.

C‑5 The recreational center was built for the people. The church set up swings, seesaws and various other games in the church yard for the children. A building was built that contained a theater, pool, barbershop and a restaurant. This was the place where old friends spent much of their leisure time. When the people were not working in the mines, they either went to the recreational center or worked in their gardens. Almost everyone planted something every summer.

McRoberts, Kentucky

By Ruby Zidaroff & Flora Scott

McRoberts is a small coal town located in the Cumberland Mountains in eastern Kentucky. It is a town which was built for only one reason — that of housing the men brought in to mine the newly purchased coal field. The company spent a tremendous sum of money developing the mines in Letcher County before shipping any coal. It was necessary to plan and build a water system, power plant, offices, tipples, houses, roads, schools, churches and any other necessary needs by the thousands of people who were to come later. In early 1912 two circular sawmills and a band saw began operating in McRoberts. With the lumber on the spot to build the houses, construction was much easier.

At the same time, a brick plant was established to furnish the bricks needed in the building projects. In 1914 there were 1600 men working at the McRoberts mine. By 1916 there were approximately 2500 men employed. This number held pretty steady down through the 1920's. In early 1916 and for years later, there was a long waiting list for houses. You were only allowed a house if you were employed by the company and sometimes it took as long as six to eight months to get a house. From 1912 to 1914 some houses were built, and in 1925 there were about 600 houses built. Most of these were double houses or houses with eight or ten rooms. The company store, recreational building, church, barber shop and shoe shops were all completed in 1916.

From the first, people were interested in schools and in August, 1912, what is now known as the Jenkins Independent School System was organized at Jenkins. At the same time, one was organized at McRoberts. On April 26, 1915, McRoberts became a part of the Jenkins system. At the time of the organization of the school in McRoberts in 1912, there were a total of 490 pupils in all schools.

The mines continued to boom in McRoberts through the 1920's. There were some 2600 men employed. There were needs and services provided by the company, so there was no reason to leave the community for anything. You could get what you wanted or needed from Consol. Water and electricity were put in most of the houses. A well-equipped doctor's office had been supplied by the company and a hospital had been built in Jenkins to serve the four units. Doctors and nurses had been brought in to serve the people. Things went well in McRoberts through World War I and afterwards.

C‑6 Then in 1929 came the depression and McRoberts, like the rest of the country, was in a desperate condition. Things began to improve before World War II and then during the war came the boom. Most of the young men and several girls saw action during the war and several were killed. Upon returning, many were given jobs and those working before service returned to theirs.

The central part of McRoberts is located in the valley of the section going up the hollow; namely Chopping Branch, Cannel City Row (named for the people who came from Cannel City, Kentucky), Cheys Fork, Tom Biggs, Band Mill Bottom and Band Mill Hill (named for the location of the saw mill). There was also Church Row, 13 Row, Doctor's Hill, Johnson Hollow, 15 Hollow and Ball Park Row. As the population increased in McRoberts, a larger school building had to be built. Churches were established and recreational facilities were built. Also a club house was built for the men who could not find a house for their families to move into. The company saw a need for a place where they could buy groceries and furniture. They put up a store which issued what they called "script" for the people to trade with instead of money.

As the people moved into town there was a need for law and order, so a policeman was hired and a jail was built. There was also a two‑room building constructed for a place to hold court. Judge Craft was the first police judge.

As the community grew, there was a need for addition to the churches. Though one was organized as a Methodist church, it was later changed to the Baptist. In 1925 the Methodist Church was disbanded. All the church buildings were deeded to their members for one dollar when the company decided to get away from the real estate business.

In 1918, a doctor's office was built and a doctor hired for the town and also a community nurse came to town. A "pest house" was built in the head of Chopping Branch for the people with contagious diseases and a nurse was hired to take care of them. The doctor and nurse would make house calls to deliver babies and care for the sick. They traveled by wagon and horseback where they could not walk. The dead were prepared for burial in the home of George McCoy of Jenkins. The body would be buried in the unlined plain board box made by Mr. McCoy and sometimes made by neighbors. If the body was to be taken anywhere, Mr. McCoy had a white wagon drawn by white horses.

In 1936, the McRoberts lower school had four new rooms added to accommodate the population growth. The building boom ended by the company in 1935. In the early 1950's, the recreational building and the club house were destroyed by fire.​d Two new churches were built on this property. The real estate office sold the company store to a chain store firm. It was called Champion store.

C‑7 As the private businesses began to operate, families traded elsewhere and in 1958 Champion Store and the filling station went out of business.

Jenkins City Government

By Jenny McCown & Marion Bentley

The date is April 20, 1912, the place is Jenkins, Kentucky. This new town is beginning a government that will long be remembered and no doubt changed many times in the years to come. The first meeting went as follows:

Be it known that W. D. Sutton, M. T. Duncan, W. S. Perry, and M. A. Dunlap, four of the five persons appointed by judgement of the Letcher Circuit Court at the January term thereof, January 9, 1912, as the Trustees of the Town of Jenkins.

M. A. Dunlap was nominated for office of Chairman of the Board and received the majority vote enabling him to serve. He then nominated W. M. Crawford for the office of city clerk. He was to serve for two years or until a due election. John G. Smyth put up the $500 bond as surety to his faithful performances.

Next O. U. Terrill was nominated for the office of treasurer. He was elected by the board.

James H. Wright appointed by judgment of the Letcher Court to be the assessor of the Town of Jenkins. H. B. Morgan was duly appointed marshal of Jenkins by judgement of the Circuit Court. J. D. Campbell went his bond with surety in the sum of $1,000 for his faithful performance.

The oaths of these persons were taken before W. H. Potter, Notary Public on April 20, 1912.

The issue for the first meeting was the boundary line of Jenkins. Ordinance Number 1 reads as follows:

At the forks of the Elkhorn Creek, a tributary of the Russell Forks of the Big Sandy River, and more particularly described as follows:

Beginning at a stake on the south side of Elkhorn Creek, and on the side of Cumberland Mountain (witnessed by a sugar tree, bearing S 12 19′ W 13′ and by a poplar bearing S 54 56′, E 8′, also by a tack sunk in babbitt in a large rock near the "Duncan House" bearing S 88 20′, E 730′,º which point is known as base station Forks "A" of survey of the Consolidation Coal Company); thence N 66 30′, W crossing Elkhorn Creek to a stake 40′ West of the center of the spur between forks of Mill Hollow (witnessed by a Chestnut bearing S 71 34′, E 20′ and by a Gum bearing N 20 18′ W 11′); thence S 23 30′ W again crossing Elkhorn Creek to a stake near the old barn near the Jim Wright place (witnessed by an apple C‑8tree bearing S 20 39′ E 18′) thence S 66 30′ E crossing Little Elkhorn Creek to a stake on the Mountain side (witnessed by an ash tree bearing N 57 21′ E 17′ and by a white oak bearing S 88 03′ W 7′) thence N 23 30′ E to the beginning, and being four lines, one fourth of a mile in each direction necessary to form a square.

I'm sure that we all know that these boundary lines are probably no longer present. Some may still be standing such as the "Duncan House." For the ancestors of the Town of Jenkins, these boundary lines were sufficient and served their purpose to the town.


Ordinance is a public law or regulation made usually by the governing body of a city, town, or village. A resolution of the city council is another name for an ordinance. Ordinances are usually only local in nature. The name ordinance means a direction, practice or custom that is usually established by a religious rite; as of an authoritative nature. Also in law, a statute enacted by the legislative department of a city government. The following ordinances are recorded from the records of the Jenkins City Hall:

Ordinance No. 4

Any person guilty of indecent or disorderly conduct within the corporate limits of the Town of Jenkins, shall be fined not less than One Dollar ($1.00), nor more than Fifty Dollars ($50.00).

Ordinance No. 16

Every person who shall, within the limits of the Town of Jenkins commit fornication or adultery, shall, for every offense, be fined not less than Twenty Dollars ($20.00), nor more than Fifty Dollars ($50.00).

Ordinance No. 17

If any person unnecessarily or cruelly beat, torture, use or otherwise mistreat any animal within the limits of the Town of Jenkins, whether his own or not, he shall be fined not exceeding $100.

Ordinance No. 19

If a person in the presence of another person or persons, use abusive or insulting language, intending thereby to insult such other person or persons, or with the intention to provoke an assault shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined not exceeding $20. If the offender be a male and the person so injured be a female, the offender shall be fined in a sum not exceeding $50.

C‑9 Ordinance No. 21

If any person shall cast or place the carcass of any animal in any water course or within 25 yards thereof, he shall be fined for the first offense not less than $5, not more than $20, and every other offense, not less than $20 or more than $100.

Ordinance No. 23

Any person who sells spirits in the town, shall upon conviction be fined not less than $60 or no more than $100, or be confined in the town jail for not less than ten days, or no more than 40 days, or both fine and imprisonment.

Ordinance No. 24

Any person who shall engage in any hazard or game on which money or property is won or lost, within the town shall subject himself to a fine of not less than $20 nor more than $100.

Ordinance No. 25

Any person who shall willfully interrupt or disturb a congregation assembled for or engaged in worshipping God, or disturb any school while the students are engaged in a bornfulº purpose shall be fined not less than $20 nor more than $50, or imprisonment in the town jail for more than 20 days or both.

Ordinance No. 28

That each solicitor or agent for the enlargement of pictures or solicitors for picture frames, or pictures in the town shall obtain a license and pay a tax of $15.

Ifº any person shall draw a deadly weapon upon another or shall point a deadly weapon at another heº shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $100.

If any person shall wager or bet any sum of money, or anything of value, upon an election under the Constitution and laws of Kentucky or the Constitution and laws of the U. S., heº shall be fined $100.

Ordinance No. 34

It shall be the duty of the Marshal of the Town of Jenkins to take up all hogs running at large in said town and confine them in the City Pound or other place that may be designated by ordinance. He shall immediately after the impounding of said hogs, advertise them for sale, by posting notices of the time, place and purpose of such sale in three of the most public places of the town, and on the fifth day shall sell such hogs at public auction.

C‑10 Ordinance No. 35

The enclosure known as the "slaughter pen" shall be and here is designated as the place for confining all strays until disposed of according to ordinance.

Ordinance No. 38

It shall be unlawful for any person in the town other than passengers and employees to get on or off the outside, or to swing on or hang on from the outside of any engine or car while the same is in motion or switching. Any person who violates this section shall be fined $10.

Ordinance No. 44

For the year 1913, a poll tax of $1 placed on our male citizens of 21 years or age and a residence of the corporation and a 35 cents tax upon each $100 of taxable property in the town. This tax to pay salary officers, debts of the town and for the improvement of the public streets.

Ordinance No. 49

That any person habitually loitering about houses where gambling is practiced, or house of ill fame, or wandering about the streets or other public highways in the town either by day or night, in an idle or dissolute manner, shall be deemed a loiterer.

That any person with no known place of residence and without any visible means of support, and being unable to give a satisfactory account of himself, shall be deemed a loiterer.

The loiterer could be fined $50, and the cost of prosecution, or confined in the workhouse and jail not more than 60 days, or both fined and imprisoned.

Ordinance No. 58

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, offer or expose for sale, or give to any person under the age of eighteen years, any cigarette, or cigarette papers, or any other paper prepared to be filled with smoking tobacco for cigarette use.

Any person under eighteen who violates this may be fined $5.

This is a duty of every policeman, town marshal, or deputies to report this if found. If any officer fails to perform his duty, then they shall be fined $5.

C‑11 Ordinance No. 66

Whereas the keeping open of merchandise establishments on the Sabbath because of the crowds that assemble at and pass to and from them frequently, creates disturbances in the vicinity of said establishments, making the Sabbath less enjoyable as a day of rest and recreation and thereby rendering more difficult the maintenance of public peace and order.º

Ordinance No. 77

A Board of Health for the Town of Jenkins and give it authority as would be necessary to cause residents to keep their premises in a sanitary condition, and to take such steps as in their opinion should be taken in order to create and maintain better sanitary conditions generally throughout the town. The Health Board was to consist of Dave Duan, A. R. Venters, and Dr. H. H. Holbrook.

Ordinance No. 82

That it shall be unlawful for any person or persons to break or enter into or otherwise interfere with any stray pen in the town of Jenkins, or take out, or remove therefrom any cattle impounded. Any person thus offending shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined, if convicted, in a sum not to exceed $10.

Ordinance No. 86

That any person who willfully shall, from any loaded coal car in or about any mines or yard removes, steals, carry away or destroy any ticket, tin-slip or other devices or design used in identification of the person or persons to whom credit or pay is or shall be due for the mining of coal in said car, shall be a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined a sum not to exceed $100 or imprisonment for 50 days or both.

Ordinance No. 91

That the existing boundary of the Town of Jenkins be changed, so as to strike therefrom that certain parcel of land bordering along the road leading up the mountain to Pound Gap, that is particularly meted.

Ordinance No. 92

That it shall be unlawful for any person to enter into any coal mine, without the permission of the owner thereof, and any person thus offending, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction before the Police Judge or any Justice of the Peace therefor, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1.00 or more than $10.00, or more than 10 days; and may be both fined and imprisoned in the discretion of the court.

C‑12 The ordinances mentioned on the preceding pages are some of the more interesting ordinances that can be found in the records of Minutes and Ordinances at City Hall. Most of them are out of date; however, the town is still governed by them in formality.

Post Office — Burdine, Kentucky

Established on January 25, 1898

Discontinued on June 15, 1899

Reestablished on November 22, 1899


Dates of Appointment

Shade R. Combs

January 25, 1898

Mary Ison

March 26, 1907

Melvin M. Martin

March 30, 1912

Frederick H. King

August 19, 1912

Henry Kirchman

February 15, 1913

William T. Owens

March 9, 1917

Charles S. Mass

January 8, 1919

Glenn Crosby

April 5, 1920

Morgan J. Willis

August 21, 1924

Stephen J. Polly

April 28, 1927

Earnest B. Lewis

July 7, 1928

Troy Arnett

February 8, 1929

Leonard H. Banks

February 6, 1934

Mrs. Juanita Minor

June 30, 1964

Mrs. Geraldine W. Adams

June 30, 1972

Thayer's Notes:

a Local reader Debbie Stidham wrote me that Jenkins lies at the foot of Pound Mountain, not Pine Mountain, which is in the next county over, Harlan County; here and there online I find a few references to "Pound Mountain".

That said, and bearing in mind that usage both varies from person to person and changes over time, I've been further kindly set straight by Sam Adams on the staff of the Mountain Eagle: the name of the mountain is firmly as our author wrote, Pine Mountain.

"Pound Mountain" remains a minority usage, although given that the road up to Pound Gap is officially "Pound Mountain Road", and that Pine Mountain is a ridge some 200 km long, it seems understandable to me that some would want to give this particular summit a name of its own. The summit is a very mild one, however, not so different from many other heights along the ridge, and the place is characterized not so much by the summit as by the gap: an idea of Pound Gap can be got from my diary, Nov. 19, 2005 (with photographs).

[decorative delimiter]

b That railroad is now defunct; no railroad runs thru Jenkins or any of the towns in its historical area (East Jenkins, Burdine, Dunham, or McRoberts).

[decorative delimiter]

c Consolidation Coal Company, long known as "Consol" in everyday speech, was founded in 1864 in Cumberland, Maryland and still exists as a somewhat independent corporation. It is now named Consol Energy Inc. and closely held by a German firm; the company has a capsule history of itself on its website. Consol not only built Jenkins and other towns in the area, but for a long time controlled these company towns with a very firm hand, holding their inhabitants in thrall: see thruout this book, and in particular pp. G‑65, G‑40, G‑35; and inevitably, G‑5. Sometimes Joe would get his own back at Consol: p. G‑3.

[decorative delimiter]

d A painting of the fire that destroyed the recreational center can be seen in the David A. Zegeer Coal Museum in Jenkins; the artist makes up for lack of polish by being an eyewitness to the event.

[image ALT: Valid HTML 4.01.]

Page updated: 14 Sep 21